Bangkok Airways fly direct from Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport to the Trat Airport Book here, which is owned by the airline, in just an hour. The fare is about 2,750 – 4,390 Baht, one-way, including the 500 Baht airport tax and fuel surcharge. The airline transfers their passengers from Trat Airport to all beaches on the west coast of Koh Chang at 470 Baht per trip and 900 Baht for a round trip inclusive of ferry tickets. Airport transfer from resort hotels to Trat Airport can also be serviced by the airline. Transfers to the east coast are either by chartered vehicle or serviced by the resorts there.
The Ekamai Bus Terminal, the main terminal serving the eastern provinces of Thailand, and the New Morchit Terminal, the hub for the northern provinces, both have buses departing for Koh Chang almost hourly. The Ekamai terminal is located on Sukhumvit Road between Soi 40 and 42 next to the BTS Skytrain’s Ekamai Station. The New Morchit terminal is located on Kampaeng Phet Road. VIP buses from Suvarnabhumi Airport departs at 7:30 am daily. The return leg from Koh Chang is 1:30 pm. For reservations call +66 8 3794 2122 (from Bangkok) and 66 8 1660 5926 (from Koh Chang). The main station in Trat is one kilometer from the town proper. Mini pick-up trucks (called Songthaew locally) taxi you to the pier at 60 Baht per trip or 20 Baht per trip to downtown Trat. The service to the piers end at 5:00 pm after which you will need to charter the pick-up taxi for around 300 Baht. On return you can catch a taxi at Ao Thammachat Pier to Trat town or to the bus station at 60 Baht. Songthaews are easily found around Trat municipal market as early as 6:00 am. For those heading for Laem Ngob pier the cost is 40 Baht per passenger. Visitors to Kampuchea (Cambodia) leaves by bus from Trat to Phnom Penh at 6:00 or 8:00 am. The 3 to 4 hours ride costs 300 to 500 Baht. Passport is required and visa-on-arrival application is available. Alternatively, you can travel by boat from Trat to Sihanouk Ville and then on land to Phnom Penh. The 2-hour, 500 Baht trip departs at 8:00 am and 9:00 am.
Vans depart from the Victory Monument for Ao Thammachat ferry pier every 2 hours starting from 5:00 am until 7:00 pm. The schedule from Ao Thammachat to Victory Monument is the same. Ticket is 300 Baht and is available at the northeast corner of the Victory Monument (tel: +66 8 7833 8985) or at the Ao Sapparos Pier on Koh Chang (tel: +66 8 7833 7696). The Suvarnabhumi Burapa that operates VIP buses from the Suvarnabhumi Airport also operate daily van transfers to the airport leaving Koh Chang at 7:30 am, 9:30 am and 10:30 am. Vans from Suvarnabhumi Airport depart at 11:00 am, 2:00 pm and 11:00 pm. They are found on the first floor, Exit 8 of the airport. Vans to the east coast of Koh Chang are available at 120 Baht per trip. They are parked in town, behind the Trat Department Store. They leave at 10:00 am, noon and 3:00 pm and return from Salakphet at 5:00 am, 6:00 am and 8:00 am.
By Private Car
Driving to Koh Chang is fun and probably the best way to see and experience the country. Car rentals are widely available. Budget Rent-A-Car, for example, offers a variety of vehicles ranging from 4-seater hatchback cars to 12-seater vans with a choice of automatic or manual gears. 20-point safety checks are performed on all the vehicles before every rental ensuring a peace of mind for the 4-5 hours drive to Koh Chang. Here are the routes.
• Route 1 : Bangna – Chonburi – Ban Bung – Klaeng – Chantaburi – Trat. Distance: 315 km.
• Head out of Bangkok on the Bangna Trad Road.
• At kilometre 59, turn left onto the Chonburi bypass.
• Drive 8 kilometres and turn left again onto the Ban Bueng – Klaeng (Highway 344).
• Highway 344 is 103 kilometres long. When it ends, turn left to Chantaburi at the Klaeng intersection.
• Drive approximately 112 kilometres from Klaeng and at the 376 kilometre milestone marker you will pass over a bridge (across the Waru River). Here you will see a Khao Saming District Police check point.
• About 2 kilometres past this point, turn right to Laem Ngob at the Ban Saen Toong intersection (opposite a P.T.T Petrol Station).
• Follow the road for 24 kilometres to the 11 kilometre milestone, which is just before Laem Ngob.
• Here turn right into a small road leading the Naval base.
• On your right, you will find the Ao Thammachat pier which services both the Koh Chang Ferry and Ferry Koh Chang. The ferry leaves every 30 minutes during the high season and every hour during the low season.
• Please note that there is also a car ferry service at Center Point but this takes longer and goes to a pier on the east of the island.
• There is also a passenger only service from Laem Ngob (but this is also quite slow and also goes to Centre Point Pier on Koh Chang).
• (Route instructions courtesy of Amari Emerald Cove Koh Chang) Route 2 : (Motorway Route): Rama IX or Srinakarin – Ban Bung – Klaeng – Chantaburi – Trat.
• Exit after paying the second toll that leads to Ban Bung, Klaeng, Chantaburi and finally Trat. The total toll fee is 60 Baht.
• Route 3 : Bangna – Chonburi – Rayong – Chantaburi – Trat. Distance: 385 km.
• This route using Highway No.3 takes longer, passing through Chonburi and Rayong provinces.
Ferry & Boat
There are 2 ferry piers in Trat servicing Koh Chang. Both are located in Amphoe (district) Laem Ngob and are a 30-minute ride from Trat town. The ferries between Ao Thammachat and Ao Sapparos and between Centre Point Pier and Dan Kao Cabana all day. The trips take about 30 and 40 minutes respectively. About 25 kilometers from Trat town is Laem Sok Pier, also called Siriwhite Pier, serving taxi speedboats to Koh Kood for up to 30 passengers. You can also charter a speedboat at 8,000 Baht to Koh Mak and 9,000 Baht to Koh Kood. It is advisable to check the rates and schedules before embarking on the trips because of possible changes due to the season, rising oil prices and competition amongst the ferry and boat operators. The rates and schedules supplied here are effective at the time of writing only. If you are already on Koh Chang and would like to go to the satellite islands, take theNor Nou Kaibae Hut Speedboat Express (66 8 1982 9870, 66 8 1817 6832). The trip starts from Kaibae Hut Pier. Another company that provides daily transfer to other islands is Bang Bao Boat (66 8 4866 1886) which operates daily transfers to Koh Mak and Koh Kood from the Bang Bao Pier on Koh Chang. It also provides transfers to other islands as shown on the schedule.
On arrival at Koh Chang, you will find some mini pick-up truck taxis called Songthaew ready to take you anywhere on Koh Chang, for 50 to 150 Baht per person depending on the distance. This applies to other piers as well. In addition to that, there are now also motorcycle-taxis on the island that are based in Bang Bao. They do not park inside the ferry pier though and will have to wait at the gate for one that has a passenger getting off at the ferry. From Bang Bao, they charge 20 Baht per person to the end of the fishing village pier and 120 Baht to White Sand Beach.
Where to find us
Our Main Office is in the middle of the westcost directly on the mainroad. Opposite is the entry to Klong Prao Resort. Next Door is a Motorbike rental. Our Divecenter is in the north beginning of Klong Prao. There you can find our classroom and Equipmentroom. As well as our Fillingstation for normal Air and Enriched Air (Nitrox). We offer a wide selection on diving and watersport articels at fair prices.
Privat Transfers check out our Transfer Specialist Peter or Christian